Menopause Symptoms

A comprehensive guide to menopause symptoms, causes and remedies

Irregular periods are also considered to be one of the basic early menopause symptoms. They occur because your hormones are erratic in the initial phases of early menopause. Here several typical cases are possible:

1) they may come more frequently (for example, every twenty-four days instead of twenty-eight)
2) or more rarely than;
3) you may skip a month or two, then go back to normal pattern for several months;
4) you may have a heavy period with bad bleeding , then the next month you may have quite a slight period;
5) your period may last like eternity, or be quite short and relatively smooth a shorter amount of time.

You may continue this list with more examples as you never know how your period will react to hormonal instability. But according to the type of instability or irregularity you can determine what’s actually happening within your body. For example, periods coming more frequently usually signal that you are producing lower levels of estrogen during your preovulatory stage. Light and smooth periods usually mean that your body doesn’t make enough estrogen to build up your uterine lining. Heavy periods with bad bleeding often signify that your periods are anovulatory, i.e. that your estrogen builds up the uterine lining and at the same time your body doesn’t produce enough progesterone. Rare or skipped periods usually mean that your ovaries continue declining. But generally, when you come closer to menopause your periods become less frequent and your menopausal cycle becomes longer. Then you may start to skip periods. And after all you will stop having periods at all.

But every woman should bear in mind that irregular periods are not necessarily an early menopause symptom as they may be related to some other disease or abnormality like polyps, cancer, fibroids, tumors, etc. So the first thing you should do about irregular periods is to get diagnosed and determine what the real cause is and what you should be treated for.

Related Articles:

10 Responsed To This Post

Subscribes to this post comment rss or trackback url
mygif_alt
Diane Morgan said, January 31st, 2008 at 1:08 pm

I am having very bad period pains but no bleeding, I am 51 and have had up to now regular periods and no signs of menopause, could this be the start of my menopause

mygif
heltom said, June 18th, 2008 at 4:55 pm

I have experienced very intense premenstrual and postmentrual pain, but not related to perodods…….have had 2 pelvid scans in the past 2 years but no results either way. I am still uncomfortable with intermittent and irregular periods. Very difficult to get a full understanding of what is going on and no explanations offered except some vague reference to pelvic congestion. I am now 53 years old. I don’t know if this is helpful or not?

mygif_alt
adrienne mliis said, February 5th, 2009 at 2:25 pm

iam having prolonged periods that are heavy and are lasting 14 days or more, iam 48 and have always been 28 days with 7 days of heavy bleeding, no sweats but a bit moody is there a home test to check for the menopause?

mygif
Irene Phillips said, February 22nd, 2009 at 3:42 pm

I think I have started the menopause because for the first time in my life my periods are irregular. My symptoms have been my face getting hot like a blush, I go very red. Also, I am very anxious and worry about everything but in a magnified way. I have bad nightmares and wake up feeling very scared of life. I am normally such a strong positive person but I feel quite pathetic and a bit manic. I did have HRT patches a couple of years ago to cope with the stresses of work but they left angry red patches all over my body. I tried the tablets and I put on weight. Do other women feel they are going mad, thinking about it its about PMT all the time.

mygif_alt
Ann-Marie Anderson said, April 15th, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I am a bit concerned and need a bit of advice. I am 44 coming up for 45 and I have had a period now for 11 days I have also had clotting usually when I have been in the shower of when I go to the toilet I am just a bit concerned and looking for a bit of advice my email address is on the other side so I WAS WANDERING If some one could email me and put my mind at rest. Thanks Ann-marie Anderson Fife Scotland.

mygif
Lance Chambers said, February 15th, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Regular exercise and eating healthy can help with many of the symptoms associated with menopause. Processed foods that are high in sodium or sugar should be eliminated completely from the diet and should be replaced with whole grain, low-fat, and low-sugar choices. Fresh fruits, vegetables, beans, oatmeal, and fish are healthy and caffeine, alcoholic beverages, and sodas should be replaced with lots of water, and unsweetened fruit juices.

mygif_alt
Denise said, August 16th, 2010 at 6:19 am

Hi
I am 49 and have been on HRT for 5 years. The docs realised when I was 44 that the vertigo attacks I was experiencing were migraine attacks and that I was pre pausal. Worked fine and I am free from migraines. Last few months though I have had really bad period pains which I have never had in all my life. No difference to whats going on 2 days of nothing.Any ideas?

mygif
sammiij said, October 17th, 2010 at 9:58 am

I am 43 and my cycle is now only 14 days and my period comes again, it last approx 5 days however i have some blood loss for the following 10 days, does anyone have any ideas as to why could i be menopausal

mygif_alt
sammiij said, October 17th, 2010 at 10:24 am

sorry meant to say if i could be menopausal

thanks again

mygif
valanita said, March 19th, 2011 at 8:07 pm

since starting the menopause its been destressing.if i dont take my hrt i sweat from head to toe all day,my moods are wild ,ether as high as a kite or steam coming out of my ears,or really low ,im constantly tired ,anxious ,and my memory dosent exist.its confuseing and causeng me great constination.some days i just dont feel alive or like i owm my hormones and mind i feel possessed.all these things are caused by the change of life.hope i feel normal again one day.

Response To This Topic

Please Note: The comment moderation maybe active so there is no need to resubmit your comment